Emergency Rental Assistance Program
ERAP Prioritization PolicyEffective date: July 6th, 2022
Purpose: Due to ERAP funding availability becoming increasingly limited, Wayne County must begin prioritizing applicants, to ensure support reaches critical-need populations. As such, Wayne County will begin preferencing households which are facing immediate threat of eviction, or utility shut off. Additionally, preference will be weighted towards first-time applicants, to ensure resources are able to reach the widest population in need. The policy listed below goes into further clarification.
Policy: Assist eligible households with the following criteria:
- Reduce the number of months assistance is received from 18 to 12, to ensure everyone in need is able to apply (vs. the same applicants receiving maximum amount of assistance available);
- Pay arrearages only, such as past due rent and utilities (as opposed to prospective rent and utilities, as those with arrearages may be facing more immediate threat of eviction);
- Give preference to first-time applicants, with the intent to provide funding to everyone in need before providing additional funding to those who have already received support;
- Limit eligible household income to <50% AMI (area median income) for Wayne County;
- Unemployed households which have been unemployed for 90 days or longer;
- Prioritize at-risk households of housing displacement or utility shut off;
Procedure: The below prioritization tool will be used to score each application and rank priority. Each qualifier is awarded one point.
Wayne County received funding from the Department of Human Services (DHS), which is specific to renters only. It can assist with households behind in rental payments and/or utilities, which is subject to eligibility and funding availability.
To be eligible for this program, the household must meet the following criteria:
Applications are available on the PA Compass website.
Those who don't have internet access are encouraged to go to their local library where they can access computers and download the application. Find your local library on the Wayne Library Alliance webpage.
Questions about the program can be directed to ERAP@WayneCountyPA.gov or call 570-253-6758.