Home Menu ↓
HomeWayne Conservation District

Wayne Conservation District


Conservation District Announces Cover Crop Incentive Program

HONESDALE (Aug. 31, 2017) — The Wayne Conservation District announces an incentive program to promote the planting of cover crops on fields that would normally be bare after harvesting.

Nutrient Management Special Zach Jones says, “Cover crops provide many soil health benefits, are excellent soil builders, and nutrient scavengers.”

Producers will be reimbursed for 75% of actual seed costs that are applied at the PSU recommended agronomic rate on their land located in Wayne County. Seed applied above or below the agronomic rate is not reimbursable.  Contact Jones with questions about recommended application rates.

Only fields producing an annual crop (one that leaves the soil open) will qualify for the cover crop seed reimbursement such as corn, soybean or a commercial vegetable garden. This funding is available to active farmers only.

The goal is to promote the Best Management Practice of cover crops, to reduce erosion and to scavenge nutrients. The seed must be planted with a No-Till Seeder.  Farmers may use their own No-Till Seeder or the District has a seeder available for rent.  Cover crops must be planted within a timeframe where final inspection of growth for program payment can be made by the District on or before Nov. 15.

Seed purchased before July 1, 2017 will not be reimbursed.

You must be pre-registered in order to participate. Call Zach Jones at the Wayne Conservation District Office, 570-253-0930 to schedule an on-site registration and field eligibility visit.

Wayne Conservation District

The District provides a myriad of services and programs. Get the details from the Wayne Conservation District Service Brochure

If you have any questions please contact our office:

Jamie Knecht – District Manager (jknecht@waynecountypa.gov)

Sylvia Thompson – Fiscal Coordinator (sthompson@waynecountypa.gov)

David Mitchell – Resource Conservationist (dmitchell@waynecountypa.gov)

Mikyla Pigeon – Resource Conservationist (mpigeon@waynecountypa.gov)

Kelley Stewart – Forest Specialist (kstewart@waynecountypa.gov)

Zachary Jones – Nutrient Management Specialist (zjones@waynecountypa.gov)

Colleen Campion – Watershed Specialist (ccampion@waynecountypa.gov)

Wildlife Issues

For issues related to aquatic plants and animals consult the PA Fish & Boat Commission.

For issues related to other plants and animals including dead deer and nuisance bear, consult the PA Game Commission.

These links may help:

Snakes in buildings and basements

Nuisance Wildlife

Local Resources

The Pocono Wildlife Rehabilitation & Education Center provides humane, professional care for injured and orphaned wildlife for the purpose of return to the wild when appropriate. The facility takes in more than 1000 animals annually including, fawns, owls, hawks, squirrels, rabbits, songbirds, raccoons and bears.

Pocono Wildlife Rehabilitation & Education Center 1161 Cherry Drive, Stroudsburg, PA 18360 Telephone: +1 570-402-0223 FAX: +1 570-402-0223 E-mail: pocowild@ptd.net

The Delaware Valley Raptor Center, in Milford, is a state and federally licensed rehabilitation organization dedicated to the rehabilitation and conservation of birds of prey (hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, and vultures). The goal is are to provide humane professional care for orphaned, ill, and injured raptors so they can ultimately be returned to the wild, healthy and no longer dependent upon humans for survival.

Delaware Valley Raptor Center (Birds of Prey only) 416 Cummins Hill Road,  Milford, PA  18337; call 570-296-6025

Paupack Wildlife Control provides service to Wayne, Pike, Lackawanna and Northern Monroe

  • Trapping & Removal of any nuisance wildlife
  • Deodorization
  • Fecal clean-up
  • Exclusion and seal-up
  • Bat clean ups
  • Decontamination of areas containing disease causing bacteria
  • We Are Also Trained To Handle Animals With Rabies And Distemper

We specialize in all types of squirrels:

  • Grey Squirrels
  • Red Squirrels
  • Flying Squirrels

Call 570-251-1544 or e-mail info@paupackwildlifecontrol.net

Erosion & Sediment Control

Sediment pollution is the number one pollutant, by volume, nationwide. Small soil particles carry nutrients, pesticides and other material to streams and watercourses. Without proper erosion control checking this pollutant our streams, rivers and lakes will be degraded. The Wayne Conservation District has delegated authority from the state to oversee the erosion control program in Wayne County. Basically any site that has earthmoving occurring on it requires the development of an Erosion Control Plan. Some of the District activities in this program are:

  • Aid in the development of Erosion & Sediment Control Plans.
    • Review of Erosion & Sediment Control Plans.
    • Handling complaints involving erosion and sediment pollution.
    • Inspection of earth disturbances.
    • Aid in permit processing.
    • Conservation Planning
    • Assistance on plan & design of erosion control facilities.
    • Information on storm water management.
    • National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permits for construction sites.
    • Wetland information Links to related information.

The links found below are related to the Erosion Control and Stormwater programs

PA Department of Environmental Protection

PA Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual

Chapter 102 Erosion Control Rules and Regulations

Erosion and Sediment Pollution Control Manual

NPDES Stormwater Discharge Permit Information

Wayne Conservation District ESCP Review Fee Schedule 2016

DEP Permit Decision Guarantee Guidance and SOPs

Small Project Erosion Control Guide – for small sites with minimal impact

PA General Permits


Manure Management

Every farm in Pennsylvania that land applies manure or agricultural process wastewater (generated on the farm or received from an importer), regardless of size, is required to have and implement a written Manure Management Plan. This includes manure and agricultural process wastewater application by various types of equipment and/or direct application of manure by animals on pastures and in Animal Concentration Areas (ACAs). In other words, farms that do not mechanically apply manure but which do have pastures or ACAs still need a manure management plan.

The links below are to information regarding Manure Management Planning.

If you have any questions or need assistance with a Manure Management Plan, please feel free to contact the Wayne Conservation District at 648 Park Street, Honesdale PA 18431, Telephone 570-253-0930.

Links to Information

Manure Management Plan Workbook

PA One Stop – Mapping Program

PA Nutrient Management Website


Nutrient Management Program

A nutrient management plan should be implemented for any farm in operation. Nutrient management seeks to balance nutrient application and crop removal of nutrients, while attempting to prevent excess nutrient runoff from entering groundwater and waterways.   Voluntary nutrient management plans can help all farmers manage nutrients, improve farm profits, protect the environment, and provide some protection from liability.

The District is dedicated to helping farmers and landowners in preserving our natural resources for future generations in Wayne County. Below is a list of some of our Ag activities:

  • Information and education outreach
    •  Nutrient Management Plan development and review
    •  Complaint response and investigation
    •  Best management practices planning and implementation
    •  Compliance assistance

Nutrient Management Act 38-

The Wayne Conservation District has a Level II delegated agreement with the Department of Environmental Protection to participate in the Nutrient Management Program (Act 38).

The PA Nutrient Management Act Requires all concentrated animal operations (CAOs) or animal operations that have 2,000 pounds or 2.0 AEUs(AEU-1000 pounds of animal on a typical production day) per acre available for manure to develop and submit a nutrient management plan to the conservation district for review and approval.  Available acreage includes all rented and owned crop, hay and pasture land.   While farms classified as CAOs are required to have and implement nutrient management plans, all other farms are encouraged to voluntarily participate in the program.

Nutrient Management Website Links

http://panutrient mgmt.cas.psu.edu/

Penn State soil map site

NRCS Web Soil Survey


Forest land is a valuable natural asset. The land has the potential to provide periodic income, recreational enjoyment, aesthetics and improved habitat for wildlife. The Wayne Conservation District can help you reach your short & long term goals on your forest land. Some of the information provided to Wayne County residents include:

  • Maintaining Forest Health
    • Tree Planting
    • Timber Stand Improvement
    • Forest Insect and Disease Identification & Control.
    • Current list of Loggers, Sawmills and Consultants for the area Christmas Tree Management.
    • Erosion & Sediment Control in woodlands.
    • Timber Harvesting Considerations.
    • Forest & Wildlife Management.
    • American Tree Farm System
    • Seedling Sale.

Water Resources

Drinking Water Well Information

If you have questions about the drinking water well on your property check the links below for more information.

Private Drinking Water Wells(EPA)

Private Water Wells (DEP)


Pond Information

The following are links to pond resources, construction, planning and maintenance

Pond Maintenance Dredging Requirements???

Ponds — Planning, Design and Construction (USDA publication)

Introduction to Ponds (DEP)

Pond Management (PSU)

Aquatic Plant Control & POnd Management FAQs(Fish and Boat Commission)

Pond Management (Ohio State University)

Pond Fact Sheets (Ohio State University)

Water Related Permits

Permits are required, in most cases, when altering the State’s water resources. If you are installing a culvert, building a dock or bridge, or working in a stream most likely a permit is required. The type or level of permit is dependent upon the size and scope of the activity you propose.

The Department of Environmental Resources adopted a new fee schedule for all permits related to water and the Chapter 105 program. This includes General Permits which were previously free. Please click on the Fee Calculation schedule below.

Contact our office if you are considering an activity involving water.

The District acknowledges General Permits associated with the Chapter 105 Program as delegated by DEP.

• Any of the General Permit (GP’s) notification forms should be sent to Wayne Conservation District. The exceptions are GP10, GP11, and GP15 notification forms that should be sent to DEP Northeast Regional Office.

The following links contain the complete permit information including all necessary forms for registration of your project. They are in Word format or PDF format for your use.

Full permit packages(pdf format)

The DEP’s CHAPTER 93 WATER QUALITY STANDARDS (in Wayne County — drainage lists A, B, C, I, AND J).

Conservation District Directors
Tim Jaggars
Walter Garing
Karl Eisenhauer
Pete Snyder
Brian Smith
Paul Kowalczyk
Andy Weist

Associate Directors
Christina Salak
Richard Kemman
Jim Sanders

Outdoor Recreation

An inventory of local outdoor recreational opportunities with links.


This section contains links used by our office staff and provide beneficial information. We will continue to add sites as we find them, and hope that you may benefit.

Efacts – DEP permit search

Aerial Photography 

PASDA – Aerial photos and Topos (2005 and infrared)

NRCS US Historic Aerial Photography (1937-1969)

Soil Maps, Aerial Photos and Topos

Wayne County/GIS Mapping – photos, roads and other