About Us

Edward ‘Ned’ Sandercock
Wayne County Court House
Second Floor Annex
(570) 253-5970 Ext. 4030

Ronald Bugaj, Esq. Solicitor


Laurie J. Collins, Chief Deputy
Karen Bates, Civil Clerk
Linda Shuman, Criminal Clerk
Nancy Tallman, Criminal Clerk
Susan Gillow, Domestic Relations Clerk
Maureen O’Hara, Juvenile/Adoption Clerk
Ruth A. Vinton, Civil Clerk/Bookkeeper
Deborah Fritz, Civil Clerk
Mary McCormick, Scanning

Office Hours

Monday through Friday
8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.


The primary function of the Prothonotary’s Office is to file and maintain the records for the court. These records include:

  • Civil Actions
  • Judgments & Liens/Stipulations
  • Domestic Relations
    • 1. Divorce actions
    • 2. PFA’s
    • 3. Support
    • 4. Custody
  • Equity Actions
  • Eminent Domain Proceedings

Most of the records are available to the public by coming into our office. Digital records exist from 1996 to the present.


The information on this website is not an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services provider. For specific questions about any legal matter, you should consult your attorney or other professional legal services provider. Members of the Prothonotary’s office staff cannot provide legal advice or attorney referrals. The Wayne County Bar Association maintains a list of members.

Passport Facility

Our office is a Passport Facility. Passport services are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4 pm.
For more information or instructions see Passport Services.

Birth Certificates

We do not issue copies of birth certificates from our office. We do have applications available for certified copies of Pennsylvania Birth Records through the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Division of Vital Records located in New Castle, Pennsylvania. The website, for additional information is Immediate copies of Pennsylvania State Birth Certificates may be obtained by going directly to the State Building located at 100 Lackawanna Avenue in Scranton, Pennsylvania. A $20.00 fee is required along with a valid Photo ID. To obtain State Birth Certificates other than Pennsylvania please contact your individual County or State Agencies for further information and requirements.

Genealogy Information

For genealogy researchers, our office has:

  • Birth and death records from 1893 to 1906
  • Marriage records starting in 1885 to present
  • Some naturalization records
  • County Tax Assessment Census for 1880
  • School records from 1912 through 1971

For more information see Wayne Co. Genealogy Home Page at Roots Web.

Clerk Of Courts

The Clerk Of Courts maintains the criminal records which include Adult and Juvenile matters. All Juvenile cases and adult criminal cases involving a child victim of physical or sexual abuse are closed to the public. Members of our staff attend court proceedings to administer oaths to jurors, witnesses, etc. and to catalog exhibits at trials. For information regarding posting of bail and return of bail monies, call our office.

As a Clerk of The Orphan’s Court we file:

  • accounts of executors, trustees and guardians
  • estate claims
  • family settlement agreements
  • appointment of guardians on minors and incompetents
  • adoption proceedings

Marriage Licenses

To be recognized as legal by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, marriages must be performed under a valid marriage license issued by the Clerk of Orphan’s Court and must be officiated by one of the individuals specifically recognized under PA Law.

Application for marriage licenses requires the following:

  • Both individuals must appear in person at the same time.
  • There is a three-day waiting period from the time of applying until the license may be picked up.
  • License must be used within 60 days from the day it is issued.
  • If married before, proof of dissolution of prior marriage is required.
  • If dissolved by divorce, a certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.
  • If widowed, date of death of the deceased spouse.
  • $35.00 fee paid at time of application.
  • Applicant under 18 years of age must have a parent sign consent form.
  • Under 16 years of age must have approval of judge, as well as a consent form signed by a parent.
  • Both applicants need to know their Social Security number, parents’ birth places and mother’s maiden name.
  • Applicants should arrive no later than 4:00 p.m.
  • One form of photo ID – Ex. Drivers License, or Passport

Prison Marriage Licenses

The Wayne County Prothonotary’s Office does not issue marriage licenses to prison inmates. Pennsylvania law requires that both parties appear in person to obtain the license and the office is not equipped with video conference technology. Other nearby counties may be willing to accommodate such requests.


Useful Forms

The Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts provides instructions and documents that allow individual to represent themselves in several areas of family law with instructions and forms available online.

Divorce Proceedings


Child Support